Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Holy Cow!

Did you see this?????

Josh Hamilton hit a record 28 home runs during last night's Home Run Derby. Each one was more spectacular than the last. But what I loved was the story of the guy doing the pitching.

Clay Council is 71 years old, and first pitched batting practice to Hamilton during Little League. Every pitch was right down the middle, a little high, and fast enough to get out of the ballpark in a hurry.

According to WRAL.com, a radio station out of western North Carolina:

"Three weeks ago, Council got a call from the Texas Ranger with an invitation to pitch to Josh in Monday night's Home Run Derby in Yankee Stadium. "I want you to throw," Hamilton stated.

Council's reply, "I'm available!"

But first he wanted Josh to clear it with the Texas Rangers and Major League Baseball.

"At my age I didn't think the teams or major league would let you. I might have a stroke out there, a heart attack, fall dead," Council joked."

Everything turned out fine. Hamilton set a record with 28 home-runs in the first round. Council didn't die. And, more importantly, Hamilton spent another day sober.

My favorite moment might have been when that little kid asked for Hamilton's autograph in the middle of the first round. What a hoot.

No comments: