Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Kiva!!!

Our Kenyan entrepreneur, Patricia Wanjiku, has made another payment!! This is extraordinary news, since she was missing for a long spell after the unrest in Kenya. She seems to still be struggling, as her normal repayment rate was $47.00/month, but this month, she was only able to pay $9.09. The nine cents stops me cold. Look at that. This is a woman who is trying to do her best, down to the last, and I mean the very last, penny. I do hope she continues to recover from the recent troubles.

As for why we don't just let her keep the money, I would, but I don't think that's the goal. I think the point of Kiva is to give everyone the opportunity to improve their lives through their own work. Plus, I don't know that Kiva entrepreneurs are the people at the very bottom of the economic ladder. They don't need charity, they need financing. There's a difference.

Anyway, my thoughts are with Patricia. I do hope she's okay.

No comments: