Monday, June 9, 2008

South Korean Beef Protests



South Korea decided to resume the importation of American beef products, and, apparently, some of the people of South Korea were not so happy about it. Check out where they had this protest... Hm.....

I don't quite know why these people are upset by the American beef. I found a website which posted people's opinions about why the protests were happening. You can find it here. I can't make heads or tails of the comments, but I think the protest is an expression of how frustrated the people in Korea are with their government. Apparently, the government made a deal with the American government to allow the importation of beef, and the Koreans weren't happy with it. Hence the protest, in front of the McDonalds...

3 comments:

Kate McCabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah said...

I'm not entirely sure, but my mother was trying to explain this to me...
Apparently, the US government is threatening that they won't buy rice and other products (?) from Korea if they don't buy their meat, and the president gave in. The Korean public is frustrated because they feel as if they are being pushed around by some huge doofus.

Kate McCabe said...

And, I heard this morning that the Korean government has offered to resign as a result of the civic unrest. I haven't seen the result of that, though. I'll have to check it out. I don't know if you saw the link in this post -- the one that went to the page for global discussions? -- there were some horrendously stereotypical comments about Koreans. I had no idea that kind of hatred was out there. Oh well... I guess that as long as there are people, there will be other people that hate them. It's sad, though.